Search Result for "dumpy":
1. resembling a garbage dump;
2. short and thick; as e.g. having short legs and heavy musculature;
- Example: "some people seem born to be square and chunky"
- Example: "a dumpy little dumpling of a woman"
- Example: "dachshunds are long lowset dogs with drooping ears"
- Example: "a little church with a squat tower"
- Example: "a squatty red smokestack"
- Example: "a stumpy ungainly figure"
[syn: chunky, dumpy, low-set, squat, squatty, stumpy]
3. short and plump;
[syn: dumpy, podgy, pudgy, tubby, roly-poly]
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Dumpy \Dump"y\, a. [Compar. Dumpier; superl. Dumpiest.] [ 1. From Dump a short ill-shapen piece. 2. From Dump sadness.] 1. Short and thick; of low stature and disproportionately stout. [1913 Webster] 2. Sullen or discontented. See 2nd dump. [Prov. Eng.] --Halliwell. [1913 Webster]Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
86 Moby Thesaurus words for "dumpy": Lilliputian, Tom Thumb, adipose, beefy, big-bellied, bloated, blocky, blowzy, bosomy, brawny, burly, buxom, chubby, chunky, corpulent, distended, dwarf, dwarfed, dwarfish, elfin, fat, fattish, fleshy, formless, full, gross, heavyset, hefty, hippy, imposing, incipient, lusty, meager, meaty, midget, nanoid, obese, overweight, paunchy, plump, podgy, portly, potbellied, pudgy, puffy, pug, pugged, pursy, pygmy, retrousse, roly-poly, rotund, rudimental, rudimentary, runty, scraggy, scrubby, shapeless, shriveled, shrunk, shrunken, snub-nosed, square, squat, squattish, squatty, stalwart, stocky, stout, strapping, stubbed, stubby, stumpy, stunted, swollen, thick, thick-bodied, thickset, top-heavy, tubby, turned-up, undersize, undersized, unformed, well-fed, wizened