Search Result for "protuberance":
1. something that bulges out or is protuberant or projects from its surroundings;
- Example: "the gun in his pocket made an obvious bulge"
- Example: "the hump of a camel"
- Example: "he stood on the rocky prominence"
- Example: "the occipital protuberance was well developed"
- Example: "the bony excrescence between its horns"
[syn: bulge, bump, hump, swelling, gibbosity, gibbousness, jut, prominence, protuberance, protrusion, extrusion, excrescence]
2. the condition of being protuberant; the condition of bulging out;
- Example: "the protuberance of his belly"
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Protuberance \Pro*tu"ber*ance\, n. [Cf. F. protub['e]rance. See Protuberant.] That which is protuberant swelled or pushed beyond the surrounding or adjacent surface; a swelling or tumor on the body; a prominence; a bunch or knob; an elevation. [1913 Webster] Solar protuberances (Astron.), certain rose-colored masses on the limb of the sun which are seen to extend beyond the edge of the moon at the time of a solar eclipse. They may be discovered with the spectroscope on any clear day. Called also solar prominences. See Illust. in Append. [1913 Webster] Syn: Projection, Protuberance. protuberance differs from projection, being applied to parts that rise from the surface with a gradual ascent or small angle; whereas a projection may be at a right angle with the surface. [1913 Webster]Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
43 Moby Thesaurus words for "protuberance": bas-relief, bellying, boldness, bulge, bulging, embossment, eminence, excrescence, excrescency, extrusion, feel, finish, gibbosity, gibbousness, grain, granular texture, high relief, indentation, jut, knub, low relief, nap, nub, pile, pit, pock, projection, prominence, protrusion, protuberancy, relief, salience, salient, shag, structure, surface, surface texture, texture, tuberosity, tuberousness, wale, weave, woof