Search Result for "jut":
1. something that bulges out or is protuberant or projects from its surroundings;
- Example: "the gun in his pocket made an obvious bulge"
- Example: "the hump of a camel"
- Example: "he stood on the rocky prominence"
- Example: "the occipital protuberance was well developed"
- Example: "the bony excrescence between its horns"
[syn: bulge, bump, hump, swelling, gibbosity, gibbousness, jut, prominence, protuberance, protrusion, extrusion, excrescence]
2. the act of projecting out from something;
[syn: protrusion, projection, jut, jutting]
1. extend out or project in space;
- Example: "His sharp nose jutted out"
- Example: "A single rock sticks out from the cliff"
[syn: stick out, protrude, jut out, jut, project]
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Jut \Jut\ (j[u^]t), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Jutted; p. pr. & vb. n. Jutting.] [A corruption of jet.] [1913 Webster] 1. To shoot out or forward; to project beyond the main body; as, the jutting part of a building. "In jutting rock and curved shore." --Wordsworth. [1913 Webster] It seems to jut out of the structure of the poem. --Sir T. Browne. [1913 Webster] 2. To butt. [Obs.] "The jutting steer." --Mason. [1913 Webster]The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Jut \Jut\, n. 1. That which projects or juts; a projection. [1913 Webster] 2. A shove; a push. [Obs.] --Udall. [1913 Webster]Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
47 Moby Thesaurus words for "jut": arch over, beetle, bestraddle, bestride, bridge, bristle up, bulge, cock up, elongate, extend, extend over, extrude, hang out, hang over, imbricate, impend, impend over, jut out, lap, lap over, lean over, lengthen, lie over, overarch, overhang, overlap, overlie, override, poke, poke out, pouch, pout, project, project over, protrude, protrusion, protuberance, protuberate, shingle, shoot out, shoot up, span, stand out, start up, stick out, stick up, thrust over