Search Result for "come_across":
1. find unexpectedly;
- Example: "the archeologists chanced upon an old tomb"
- Example: "she struck a goldmine"
- Example: "The hikers finally struck the main path to the lake"
[syn: fall upon, strike, come upon, light upon, chance upon, come across, chance on, happen upon, attain, discover]
2. be perceived in a certain way; make a certain impression;
3. come together;
- Example: "I'll probably see you at the meeting"
- Example: "How nice to see you again!"
[syn: meet, run into, encounter, run across, come across, see]
4. communicate the intended meaning or impression;
- Example: "He came across very clearly"
[syn: come across, come over]
5. be received or understood;
[syn: resonate, come across]
Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
80 Moby Thesaurus words for "come across": alight upon, aller sans dire, be manifest, be no secret, blunder upon, bump into, chance upon, circulate, come across with, come among, come down with, come on, come through with, come up against, come upon, confront, cough up, deliver, deliver over, discover serendipitously, distribute, encounter, fall across, fall among, fall foul of, fall in with, fall upon, fork over, forward, give in, give out, give over, glare, go without saying, grease the palm, hand, hand in, hand out, hand over, hang out, happen upon, hit upon, kick in, lay on one, light upon, meet, meet head-on, meet up with, meet with, need no explanation, pass, pass out, pass over, pitch upon, plunk down, pony up, post, project, reach, render, resign, run across, run into, run smack into, run up against, run upon, sauter aux yeux, shout, speak for itself, stand out, stick out, strike the eye, stumble on, stumble upon, stump up, surrender, tickle the palm, transfer, tumble on, turn over