Search Result for "pungency":
1. wit having a sharp and caustic quality;
- Example: "he commented with typical pungency"
- Example: "the bite of satire"
[syn: pungency, bite]
2. a strong odor or taste property;
- Example: "the pungency of mustard"
- Example: "the sulfurous bite of garlic"
- Example: "the sharpness of strange spices"
- Example: "the raciness of the wine"
[syn: pungency, bite, sharpness, raciness]
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Pungency \Pun"gen*cy\, n. The quality or state of being pungent or piercing; keenness; sharpness; piquancy; as, the pungency of ammonia. "The pungency of menaces." --Hammond. [1913 Webster]Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
59 Moby Thesaurus words for "pungency": acerbity, acescency, acidity, acidulousness, acridity, acridness, astringence, astringency, bitter pill, bitterness, brilliance, causticity, cleverness, dash, dryness, facetiousness, funniness, gall, gall and wormwood, greenness, headiness, humorousness, hyperacidity, jocoseness, jocularity, joking, joshing, keen-wittedness, keenness, liveliness, nimble-wittedness, odorousness, pep, piquancy, pleasantry, poignancy, quick-wittedness, raciness, saltiness, sharpness, smartness, smelliness, sour, sourishness, sourness, sparkle, spirit, subacidity, tartishness, tartness, unripeness, unsweetness, verjuice, verve, vinegariness, vinegarishness, vivacity, vividness, wittiness