Search Result for "naive":
1. marked by or showing unaffected simplicity and lack of guile or worldly experience;
- Example: "a teenager's naive ignorance of life"
- Example: "the naive assumption that things can only get better"
- Example: "this naive simple creature with wide friendly eyes so eager to believe appearances"
[syn: naive, naif]
2. of or created by one without formal training; simple or naive in style;
- Example: "primitive art such as that by Grandma Moses is often colorful and striking"
[syn: primitive, naive]
4. lacking information or instruction;
- Example: "lamentably unenlightened as to the laws"
[syn: uninstructed, unenlightened, naive]
5. not initiated; deficient in relevant experience;
- Example: "it seemed a bizarre ceremony to uninitiated western eyes"
- Example: "he took part in the experiment as a naive subject"
[syn: uninitiate, uninitiated, naive]
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
naive \na*ive"\, naive \na*["i]ve"\(n[aum]*[=e]v"), a. [F. na["i]f, fem. na["i]ve, fr. L. nativus innate, natural, native. See Native, and cf. Na["i]f.] 1. Having native or unaffected simplicity; ingenuous; artless; frank; as, na["i]ve manners; a na["i]ve person; na["i]ve and unsophisticated remarks. [1913 Webster] 2. Having a lack of knowledge, judgment, or experience; especially, lacking sophistication in judging the motives of others; credulous; as, a naive belief in the honesty of politicians. [PJC]Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
116 Moby Thesaurus words for "naive": artless, awkward, befoolable, blankminded, bluff, blunt, born yesterday, budding, callow, candid, childlike, confiding, credulous, cullible, deceivable, deludable, dependent, depending, dewy, direct, dumb, dupable, easy, empty, empty-headed, exploitable, foolable, frank, fresh, gauche, green, groping, growing, guileless, gullible, hoaxable, hoodwinkable, humbugable, ignorant, immature, impubic, inane, inexperienced, ingenu, ingenuous, innocent, intact, juicy, know-nothing, minor, nescient, new-fledged, open, openhearted, original, outspoken, persuadable, plain, raw, reliant, relying, ripening, sappy, seduceable, simple, simplehearted, simpleminded, sincere, single-hearted, single-minded, soft, strange to, susceptible, tender, tentative, trustful, trusting, trusty, unacquainted, unadult, unaffected, unapprized, unartificial, uncomprehending, unconversant, underage, undeveloped, unenlightened, unfamiliar, unfledged, unformed, unguarded, unilluminated, uninformed, uninitiated, unintelligent, unknowing, unlicked, unmellowed, unposted, unreserved, unripe, unschooled, unseasoned, unsophisticated, unstudied, unsure, unsuspecting, unsuspicious, unversed, unwary, vacuous, vernal, victimizable, virginal, without suspicion