Search Result for "make_up":
1. form or compose;
- Example: "This money is my only income"
- Example: "The stone wall was the backdrop for the performance"
- Example: "These constitute my entire belonging"
- Example: "The children made up the chorus"
- Example: "This sum represents my entire income for a year"
- Example: "These few men comprise his entire army"
[syn: constitute, represent, make up, comprise, be]
2. devise or compose;
- Example: "This designer makes up our Spring collections"
3. do or give something to somebody in return;
- Example: "Does she pay you for the work you are doing?"
[syn: pay, pay off, make up, compensate]
4. make up work that was missed due to absence at a later point;
- Example: "I have to make up a French exam"
- Example: "Can I catch up with the material or is it too late?"
[syn: make up, catch up with]
5. make up something artificial or untrue;
[syn: fabricate, manufacture, cook up, make up, invent]
6. put in order or neaten;
- Example: "make the bed"
- Example: "make up a room"
[syn: make, make up]
7. adjust for;
- Example: "engineers will work to correct the effects or air resistance"
[syn: compensate, counterbalance, correct, make up, even out, even off, even up]
8. come to terms;
- Example: "After some discussion we finally made up"
[syn: reconcile, patch up, make up, conciliate, settle]
9. apply make-up or cosmetics to one's face to appear prettier;
- Example: "She makes herself up every morning"
Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
217 Moby Thesaurus words for "make up": accommodate, accomplish, accumulate, ad-lib, adjust, agglomerate, aggregate, aggroup, amass, arrange, assemble, atone for, balance, batch, beget, blend, breed, brew, bring forth, bring into being, bring to completion, bring to fruition, bring together, build, build up, bulk, bunch, bunch together, bunch up, call into being, cast, close, close with, clump, cluster, coin, collect, colligate, collocate, combine, come round, come to terms, come together, compare, compile, complete, compose, compound, comprise, conceive, conclude, concoct, conglomerate, consist of, constitute, construct, contrive, cook up, corral, counterbalance, counterfeit, counterpoise, countervail, create, cumulate, dash off, decoct, design, develop, devise, dig up, discover, do offhand, draw together, dream up, dredge up, drive together, eke out, elaborate, embody, engender, enter into, erect, evolve, extemporize, extrude, fabricate, fake, fantasize, fashion, fill in, fill out, fit, fix, fix up, forge, forgive and forget, form, formulate, frame, fudge, fudge together, fulfill, fuse, gather, gather in, gather together, generate, get, get in, get together, get up, give being to, give rise to, go into, group, hatch, hatch up, hoke up, impose, improvisate, improvise, incorporate, indite, interblend, interfuse, intermix, invent, join, jury-rig, justify, juxtapose, knock off, lash up, lump together, make, make do with, make good, make matters up, manufacture, mass, match, mature, meld, merge, merge in, mingle, mint, mix, mobilize, mold, muster, offset, organize, originate, outweigh, overrun, pair, partner, patch together, pi, pi a form, piece out, piece together, plan, play by ear, prefabricate, prepare, procreate, produce, put together, put up, raise, rake up, rally, ready, rear, redeem, refill, replenish, round out, round up, run up, scrap the plan, scrape together, set, set in print, set off, set up, settle, settle with, shake hands, shape, spawn, straighten out, strike off, strike out, structure, synthesize, take up, think out, think up, throw off, throw together, top off, toss off, toss out, trump up, unite in, vamp, vamp up, whip in, whip up, whomp up, wing it, work out, write