Search Result for "go_against":
1. fail to agree with; be in violation of; as of rules or patterns;
- Example: "This sentence violates the rules of syntax"
[syn: violate, go against, break]
2. act in disregard of laws, rules, contracts, or promises;
- Example: "offend all laws of humanity"
- Example: "violate the basic laws or human civilization"
- Example: "break a law"
- Example: "break a promise"
[syn: transgress, offend, infract, violate, go against, breach, break]
- Example: "buck the trend"
[syn: buck, go against]
Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
40 Moby Thesaurus words for "go against": antagonize, be antipathetic, be at cross-purposes, be inimical, beat against, clash, collide, conflict, conflict with, confute, contradict, contrapose, contravene, counter, counteract, counterattack, counterpose, countervail, counterwork, cross, go counter to, interfere with, join the opposition, lock horns, meet head-on, militate against, not abide, oppose, oppugn, play at cross-purposes, protest, resist, run against, run counter to, swim upstream, take issue with, traverse, vote against, withstand, work against