Search Result for "dour":
1. stubbornly unyielding;
- Example: "dogged persistence"
- Example: "dour determination"
- Example: "the most vocal and pertinacious of all the critics"
- Example: "a mind not gifted to discover truth but tenacious to hold it"- T.S.Eliot
- Example: "men tenacious of opinion"
[syn: dogged, dour, persistent, pertinacious, tenacious, unyielding]
2. harshly uninviting or formidable in manner or appearance;
- Example: "a dour, self-sacrificing life"
- Example: "a forbidding scowl"
- Example: "a grim man loving duty more than humanity"
- Example: "undoubtedly the grimmest part of him was his iron claw"- J.M.Barrie
[syn: dour, forbidding, grim]
3. showing a brooding ill humor;
- Example: "a dark scowl"
- Example: "the proverbially dour New England Puritan"
- Example: "a glum, hopeless shrug"
- Example: "he sat in moody silence"
- Example: "a morose and unsociable manner"
- Example: "a saturnine, almost misanthropic young genius"- Bruce Bliven
- Example: "a sour temper"
- Example: "a sullen crowd"
[syn: dark, dour, glowering, glum, moody, morose, saturnine, sour, sullen]
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Dour \Dour\, a. [Cf. F. dur, L. durus.] Hard; inflexible; obstinate; sour in aspect; hardy; bold. [Scot.] [1913 Webster] A dour wife, a sour old carlin. --C. Reade. [1913 Webster] DouraMoby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
110 Moby Thesaurus words for "dour": Spartan, Spartanic, adamant, adamantine, astringent, austere, authoritarian, beetle-browed, black, black-browed, bleak, cast-iron, cheerless, cold, crabbed, dark, dejected, demanding, dismal, dreary, dumpish, exacting, exigent, firm, flinty, forbidding, frowning, fundamentalist, gloomy, glowering, glum, grim, grum, hard, hard-core, hard-nosed, hardy, harsh, hidebound, immovable, immutable, implacable, impliable, inclement, inelastic, inexorable, inflexible, intransigent, iron, ironbound, ironclad, ironhanded, irreconcilable, lowering, melancholy, meticulous, moodish, moody, mopey, moping, mopish, morose, mumpish, muscle-bound, obdurate, obstinate, orthodox, procrustean, purist, puristic, puritan, puritanic, relentless, rigid, rigorist, rigoristic, rigorous, rock-ribbed, rockbound, rough, rugged, saturnine, scowling, severe, sour, steely, stern, stiff, straightlaced, straitlaced, strict, stringent, stubborn, sulky, sullen, surly, tough, ugly, unaffected, unalterable, unbending, unchangeable, uncompromising, unfriendly, ungentle, ungiving, unmoved, unrelenting, unsparing, unyielding