Search Result for "call_for":
1. express the need or desire for; ask for;
- Example: "She requested an extra bed in her room"
- Example: "She called for room service"
[syn: request, bespeak, call for, quest]
2. require as useful, just, or proper;
- Example: "It takes nerve to do what she did"
- Example: "success usually requires hard work"
- Example: "This job asks a lot of patience and skill"
- Example: "This position demands a lot of personal sacrifice"
- Example: "This dinner calls for a spectacular dessert"
- Example: "This intervention does not postulate a patient's consent"
[syn: necessitate, ask, postulate, need, require, take, involve, call for, demand]
3. request the participation or presence of;
- Example: "The organizers invite submissions of papers for the conference"
[syn: invite, call for]
4. gather or collect;
- Example: "You can get the results on Monday"
- Example: "She picked up the children at the day care center"
- Example: "They pick up our trash twice a week"
[syn: collect, pick up, gather up, call for]
Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
153 Moby Thesaurus words for "call for": affect, apply for, ask, ask for, assume, bare necessities, be hurting for, be indicated, beg leave, bespeak, bid come, blackmail, bring, bring back, brook no denial, call, call away, call back, call forth, call in, call out, call together, call up, challenge, chase after, cite, claim, clamor for, comprise, conjure, conjure up, contain, contribution, convene, convoke, crave, cry for, cry out for, demand, demand for, desideration, desideratum, desire, dictate, draft, drain, duty, entail, essential, essentials, evoke, exact, exaction, extort, extortion, extortionate demand, fetch, fetch and carry, file for, get, go after, go and get, go fetch, go for, go get, go to get, have occasion for, heavy demand, implicate, imply, impose, imposition, impost, indent, indispensable, insistent demand, invoke, involve, issue an ultimatum, lead to, leave no option, levy, make a demand, make a request, make a requisition, make application, must, must item, muster, muster up, necessaries, necessitate, necessities, necessity, need, need for, nonnegotiable demand, notice, oblige, obtain, occasion, order, order up, page, pick up, place an order, preconize, prerequire, prerequirement, prerequisite, presume, presuppose, procure, put in for, put in requisition, recall, request, require, requirement, requisite, requisition, retrieve, run after, rush, rush order, screw, secure, send after, send for, serve, shag, subpoena, subsume, summon, summon forth, summon up, summons, take, take doing, take in, take no denial, tax, taxing, the necessary, the needful, tribute, ultimatum, want, want doing, warn, warning, whistle for, wish