1. a point located with respect to surface features of some region;
- Example: "this is a nice place for a picnic"
- Example: "a bright spot on a planet"
[syn: topographic point, place, spot]
2. any area set aside for a particular purpose;
- Example: "who owns this place?"
- Example: "the president was concerned about the property across from the White House"
[syn: place, property]
3. an abstract mental location;
- Example: "he has a special place in my thoughts"
- Example: "a place in my heart"
- Example: "a political system with no place for the less prominent groups"
4. a general vicinity;
- Example: "He comes from a place near Chicago"
5. the post or function properly or customarily occupied or served by another;
- Example: "can you go in my stead?"
- Example: "took his place"
- Example: "in lieu of"
[syn: stead, position, place, lieu]
6. a particular situation;
- Example: "If you were in my place what would you do?"
[syn: place, shoes]
7. where you live at a particular time;
- Example: "deliver the package to my home"
- Example: "he doesn't have a home to go to"
- Example: "your place or mine?"
[syn: home, place]
8. a job in an organization;
- Example: "he occupied a post in the treasury"
[syn: position, post, berth, office, spot, billet, place, situation]
9. the particular portion of space occupied by something;
- Example: "he put the lamp back in its place"
[syn: position, place]
10. proper or designated social situation;
- Example: "he overstepped his place"
- Example: "the responsibilities of a man in his station"
- Example: "married above her station"
[syn: place, station]
11. a space reserved for sitting (as in a theater or on a train or airplane);
- Example: "he booked their seats in advance"
- Example: "he sat in someone else's place"
[syn: seat, place]
12. the passage that is being read;
- Example: "he lost his place on the page"
13. proper or appropriate position or location;
- Example: "a woman's place is no longer in the kitchen"
14. a public square with room for pedestrians;
- Example: "they met at Elm Plaza"
- Example: "Grosvenor Place"
[syn: plaza, place, piazza]
15. an item on a list or in a sequence;
- Example: "in the second place"
- Example: "moved from third to fifth position"
[syn: place, position]
16. a blank area;
- Example: "write your name in the space provided"
[syn: space, blank space, place]
1. put into a certain place or abstract location;
- Example: "Put your things here"
- Example: "Set the tray down"
- Example: "Set the dogs on the scent of the missing children"
- Example: "Place emphasis on a certain point"
[syn: put, set, place, pose, position, lay]
2. place somebody in a particular situation or location;
- Example: "he was placed on probation"
3. assign a rank or rating to;
- Example: "how would you rank these students?"
- Example: "The restaurant is rated highly in the food guide"
[syn: rate, rank, range, order, grade, place]
4. assign a location to;
- Example: "The company located some of their agents in Los Angeles"
[syn: locate, place, site]
5. to arrange for;
- Example: "place a phone call"
- Example: "place a bet"
6. take a place in a competition; often followed by an ordinal;
- Example: "Jerry came in third in the Marathon"
[syn: place, come in, come out]
7. intend (something) to move towards a certain goal;
- Example: "He aimed his fists towards his opponent's face"
- Example: "criticism directed at her superior"
- Example: "direct your anger towards others, not towards yourself"
[syn: target, aim, place, direct, point]
8. recognize as being; establish the identity of someone or something;
- Example: "She identified the man on the 'wanted' poster"
[syn: identify, place]
9. assign to (a job or a home);
- Example: "The film is set in Africa"
[syn: set, localize, localise, place]
- Example: "We put the time of arrival at 8 P.M."
[syn: place, put, set]
12. identify the location or place of;
- Example: "We localized the source of the infection"
[syn: place, localize, localise]
13. make an investment;
- Example: "Put money into bonds"
[syn: invest, put, commit, place]
14. assign to a station;
[syn: station, post, send, place]
15. finish second or better in a horse or dog race;
- Example: "he bet $2 on number six to place"
16. sing a note with the correct pitch;
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Place \Place\ (pl[=a]s), n. [F., fr. L. platea a street, an area, a courtyard, from Gr. platei^a a street, properly fem. of platy`s, flat, broad; akin to Skr. p[.r]thu, Lith. platus. Cf. Flawn, Piazza, Plate, Plaza.] 1. Any portion of space regarded as measured off or distinct from all other space, or appropriated to some definite object or use; position; ground; site; spot; rarely, unbounded space. [1913 Webster] Here is the place appointed. --Shak. [1913 Webster] What place can be for us Within heaven's bound? --Milton. [1913 Webster] The word place has sometimes a more confused sense, and stands for that space which any body takes up; and so the universe is a place. --Locke. [1913 Webster] 2. A broad way in a city; an open space; an area; a court or short part of a street open only at one end. "Hangman boys in the market place." --Shak. [1913 Webster] 3. A position which is occupied and held; a dwelling; a mansion; a village, town, or city; a fortified town or post; a stronghold; a region or country. [1913 Webster] Are you native of this place? --Shak. [1913 Webster] 4. Rank; degree; grade; order of priority, advancement, dignity, or importance; especially, social rank or position; condition; also, official station; occupation; calling. "The enervating magic of place." --Hawthorne. [1913 Webster] Men in great place are thrice servants. --Bacon. [1913 Webster] I know my place as I would they should do theirs. --Shak. [1913 Webster] 5. Vacated or relinquished space; room; stead (the departure or removal of another being or thing being implied). "In place of Lord Bassanio." --Shak. [1913 Webster] 6. A definite position or passage of a document. [1913 Webster] The place of the scripture which he read was this. --Acts viii. 32. [1913 Webster] 7. Ordinal relation; position in the order of proceeding; as, he said in the first place. [1913 Webster] 8. Reception; effect; -- implying the making room for. [1913 Webster] My word hath no place in you. --John viii. 37. [1913 Webster] 9. (Astron.) Position in the heavens, as of a heavenly body; -- usually defined by its right ascension and declination, or by its latitude and longitude. [1913 Webster] 10. (Racing) The position of first, second, or third at the finish, esp. the second position. In betting, to win a bet on a horse for place it must, in the United States, finish first or second, in England, usually, first, second, or third. [Webster 1913 Suppl.] Place of arms (Mil.), a place calculated for the rendezvous of men in arms, etc., as a fort which affords a safe retreat for hospitals, magazines, etc. --Wilhelm. High place (Script.), a mount on which sacrifices were offered. "Him that offereth in the high place." --Jer. xlviii. 35. In place, in proper position; timely. Out of place, inappropriate; ill-timed; as, his remarks were out of place. Place kick (Football), the act of kicking the ball after it has been placed on the ground. Place name, the name of a place or locality. --London Academy. To give place, to make room; to yield; to give way; to give advantage. "Neither give place to the devil." --Eph. iv. 27. "Let all the rest give place." --Shak. To have place, to have a station, room, or seat; as, such desires can have no place in a good heart. To take place. (a) To come to pass; to occur; as, the ceremony will not take place. (b) To take precedence or priority. --Addison. (c) To take effect; to prevail. "If your doctrine takes place." --Berkeley. "But none of these excuses would take place." --Spenser. To take the place of, to be substituted for. [1913 Webster] Syn: Situation; seat; abode; position; locality; location; site; spot; office; employment; charge; function; trust; ground; room; stead. [1913 Webster]The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Place \Place\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Placed; p. pr. & vb. n. Placing.] [Cf. F. placer. See Place, n.] 1. To assign a place to; to put in a particular spot or place, or in a certain relative position; to direct to a particular place; to fix; to settle; to locate; as, to place a book on a shelf; to place balls in tennis. Syn: Put. [1913 Webster] Upon my head they placed a fruitless crown. --Shak. [1913 Webster] 2. To put or set in a particular rank, office, or position; to surround with particular circumstances or relations in life; to appoint to certain station or condition of life; as, in whatever sphere one is placed. [1913 Webster] Place such over them to be rulers. --Ex. xviii. 21. [1913 Webster] 3. To put out at interest; to invest; to loan; as, to place money in a bank. [1913 Webster] 4. To set; to fix; to repose; as, to place confidence in a friend. "My resolution 's placed." --Shak. [1913 Webster] 5. To attribute; to ascribe; to set down. [1913 Webster] Place it for her chief virtue. --Shak. [1913 Webster] 6. (Racing) To determine or announce the place of at the finish. Usually, in horse racing only the first three horses are placed officially. [Webster 1913 Suppl.] 7. (Rugby Football) To place-kick ( a goal). [Webster 1913 Suppl.] 8. to recognize or identify (a person). [Colloq. U.S.] [1913 Webster]The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (17 December 2009):
PLACE Programming Language for Automatic Checkout Equipment. ["The Compiler for the Programming Language for Automatic Checkout Equipment (PLACE)", AFAPL TR-68-27, Battelle Inst, Columbus, May 1968].Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
584 Moby Thesaurus words for "place": Anschauung, Autobahn, OK, US highway, a leg up, abiding place, abode, address, advance, agora, airspace, align, all right, all set, allegiance, alley, alleyway, allocate, allot, alphabetize, amphitheater, analyze, angle, angle of vision, anoint, antepast, apartment, apply, appointment, apportion, appropriate, approximate, area, arena, arise, arrange, array, arrive, arterial, arterial highway, arterial street, artery, ascribe, assign, assigned task, associate, assort, athletic field, attach, attribute, auditorium, autoroute, autostrada, avenue, awkward, background, basis, bear garden, bearings, belt, belt highway, bench mark, berth, billet, blind alley, boulevard, bounden duty, bout, bowl, boxing ring, bracket, break down, bring down, bull ring, bung, burden, burden with, business, buy in, buy into, bypass, byway, call, call of duty, camino real, campo, campus, cantonment, canvas, capacity, carriageway, case, caste, catalog, categorize, causeway, causey, chair, chance, character, charge, chaussee, chore, circumferential, circumstance, circumstances, circus, city, class, classify, clear stage, close, cockpit, codify, coliseum, collocate, colosseum, come about, commitment, compose, concern, condition, confines, connection, consider, continental shelf, continuity, corduroy road, correct, corridor, country, county road, course, court, cover, crash pad, crescent, crib, crown, cul-de-sac, dead-end street, deal, deal out, dedication, deference, degree, demand, department, deploy, deposit, dessert, determinate, devoir, devotion, diagnose, digest, diggings, digs, dike, dirt road, dish, dispose, distinguish, distribute, district, divide, division, domicile, domus, drive, driveway, duties and responsibilities, duty, dwelling, dwelling place, echelon, embarrass, emplace, emplacement, employment, engagement, enjoin, enthrone, entree, entremets, environs, establish, estate, ethics, exact, expressway, eye, fair field, fair game, farmstead, fasten upon, fealty, field, file, financier, finger, fitting, fix, flat, floor, flourish, footing, forum, frame of reference, framework, freeway, freight with, function, get a fix, get ahead, gig, give, go, go on, go places, good form, gradation, grade, grange, gravel road, ground, group, gym, gymnasium, habitation, hacienda, hall, hamlet, happen, have, heartland, help, helping, hierarchy, highroad, highway, highways and byways, hinterland, hippodrome, hole, homage, home, home in on, home place, homecroft, homestead, house, house and grounds, house and lot, humble, identify, imperative, impose, impose on, impose upon, improper, impute, in order, in place, in situ, inappropriate, inaugurate, incumbency, index, induct, inflict on, inflict upon, inning, innings, install, instate, interstate highway, invest, invest in, jam, job, judge, know, know again, land, lane, latitude and longitude, lay, lay on, lay out money, levy, liberty, lieu, light, line, line of duty, line up, list, lists, livelihood, local road, locale, locality, localize, locate, location, locus, lodging, lodging place, lodgings, lodgment, lot, loyalty, main drag, main road, make a splash, make an investment, make good, make out, market, market cross, marketplace, marshal, mart, mat, mental outlook, messuage, mews, milieu, misplaced, mission, modality, mode, moonlighting, mortify, motorway, must, nail, navigate, neighborhood, nest, niche, obligation, occasion, occupation, occur, office, offshore rights, okay, onus, open forum, opening, opportunism, opportunity, order, ought, out of place, outlook, pad, palaestra, parade ground, parcel out, park, parkway, part, parts, pass, pave, paved road, peg, piazza, pickle, pigeonhole, pike, pin down, pinpoint, pit, place in office, place to live, placement, plank road, plate, platform, plaza, plight, plow back into, plunge, point, point of view, portion, pose, posit, position, post, posture, power structure, precedence, precinct, precincts, predicament, premises, primary highway, private road, prize ring, proper, prosper, province, public square, purlieu, purlieus, purpose, put, put down, put in, put in place, put on, put out, put upon, quarter, quarters, rally, ranch, rancho, range, rank, rate, rating, ready, realize, recall, recall knowledge of, reckon, recognize, refer, reference system, regard, regiment, region, reidentify, reinvest, relief, remember, residence, respect, responsibility, rialto, right, right-of-way, ring, ring road, risk, road, roadbed, roadway, role, roof, room, rooms, round, route nationale, row, royal road, saddle with, salient, say, scene, scene of action, scenery, scope, seat, second helping, second job, secondary road, section, see, self-imposed duty, sequence, serial order, service, serving, set, set out, set up, setting, settle, side, sight, sink, sink money in, site, situate, situation, situs, slant, slot, soil, sort, space, speculate, speedway, spell, sphere, spot, square, squared circle, squelch, stadium, stage, stage set, stage setting, stand, standing, standpoint, state, state highway, station, status, stead, steading, stepping-stone, stick, street, strike it rich, subdivide, subject to, submit, subordination, succeed, suitable, superhighway, system, tabulate, take place, task, tax, tell, tenure, terrace, terrain, territory, theater, thoroughfare, three-mile limit, thrive, throne, through street, thruway, tilting ground, tiltyard, time, time at bat, toft, toll road, town, township road, tract, transpire, triangulate, turn, turnpike, twelve-mile limit, type, uncomfortable, universe, unsuitable, vacancy, venture, vicinage, vicinity, view, viewpoint, village, walk, weight down with, whack, where, whereabout, whereabouts, wrestling ring, wrong, wynd, yoke with, zero in on, zone