Search Result for "trillion":
1. a very large indefinite number (usually hyperbole);
- Example: "there were millions of flies"
[syn: million, billion, trillion, zillion, jillion, gazillion]
2. the number that is represented as a one followed by 18 zeros;
- Example: "in England they call a quintillion a trillion"
[syn: trillion, one million million million]
3. the number that is represented as a one followed by 12 zeros;
- Example: "in England they call a trillion a billion"
[syn: trillion, one million million, 1000000000000]
1. one quintillion in Great Britain;
2. one million million in the United States;
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Trillion \Tril"lion\, n. [F. trillion, formed from the pref. tri- in imitation of million a million. Cf. Billion.] According to the French notation, which is used upon the Continent generally and in the United States, the number expressed by a unit with twelve ciphers annexed; a million millions; according to the English notation, the number produced by involving a million to the third power, or the number represented by a unit with eighteen ciphers annexed. See the Note under Numeration. [1913 Webster]The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (17 December 2009):
In Britain, France, and Germany, 10^18 or a million cubed. In the USA and Canada, 10^12. [Elsewhere?] (1996-10-03)