1. [syn: pedal, treadle, foot pedal, foot lever]
1. tread over;
- Example: "the brick maker treadles over clay to pick out the stones"
2. operate (machinery) by a treadle;
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Treadle \Trea"dle\, n. [OE. tredyl a step, AS. tredel. See
1. The part of a foot lathe, or other machine, which is
pressed or moved by the foot.
2. (Biol.) The chalaza of a bird's egg; the tread.
WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006):
n 1: a lever that is operated with the foot [syn: pedal,
treadle, foot pedal, foot lever]
v 1: tread over; "the brick maker treadles over clay to pick out
2: operate (machinery) by a treadle
Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
43 Moby Thesaurus words for "treadle":
advance, bar, beam, boom, bowl, bunt, butt, cant hook, claw bar,
crank, crow, crowbar, drive, forward, handspike, impel, iron crow,
jimmy, lever, limb, marlinespike, move, outrigger, peavey, pedal,
pinch bar, pole, prize, propel, pry, push, ripping bar, roll, row,
shove, shunt, spar, sweep, sweep along, thrust, troll, trundle,