Search Result for "surmount":
1. get on top of; deal with successfully;
- Example: "He overcame his shyness"
[syn: overcome, get over, subdue, surmount, master]
2. be on top of;
- Example: "The scarf surmounted the gown"
3. reach the highest point of;
- Example: "We scaled the Mont Blanc"
[syn: scale, surmount]
4. be or do something to a greater degree;
- Example: "her performance surpasses that of any other student I know"
- Example: "She outdoes all other athletes"
- Example: "This exceeds all my expectations"
- Example: "This car outperforms all others in its class"
[syn: surpass, outstrip, outmatch, outgo, exceed, outdo, surmount, outperform]
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Surmount \Sur*mount"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Surmounted; p. pr. & vb. n. Surmounting.] [OE. sourmounten, OF. surmonter, sormonter, F. surmonter; sur over + monter to mount. See Sur-, and Mount, v. i.] 1. To rise above; to be higher than; to overtop. [1913 Webster] The mountains of Olympus, Athos, and Atlas, overreach and surmount all winds and clouds. --Sir W. Raleigh. [1913 Webster] 2. To conquer; to overcome; as, to surmount difficulties or obstacles. --Macaulay. [1913 Webster] 3. To surpass; to exceed. --Spenser. [1913 Webster] What surmounts the reach Of human sense I shall delineate. --Milton. [1913 Webster] Syn: To conquer; overcome; vanquish; subdue; surpass; exceed. [1913 Webster]Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
80 Moby Thesaurus words for "surmount": beat, best, bestraddle, bestride, better, cap, clamber, clamber up, clear, climax, climb, climb over, climb up, command, conquer, consummate, crest, crown, culminate, deck, defeat, dominate, down, escalade, finish, floor, frost, head, hurdle, ice, leap, lick, look down upon, master, mount, negotiate, outdo, outstrip, outtop, over, overarch, overcome, overleap, overlook, overmaster, overmatch, overpower, overset, overshadow, overthrow, overtop, overturn, peak, prevail over, ramp, rise above, scale, scale the heights, scrabble up, scramble up, send flying, shin, shin up, shinny, silence, struggle up, surpass, terminate, throw, tip, top, top off, tower above, tower over, trip, trip up, triumph over, upclimb, upset, vault