Search Result for "suck_up":
1. take in, also metaphorically;
- Example: "The sponge absorbs water well"
- Example: "She drew strength from the minister's words"
[syn: absorb, suck, imbibe, soak up, sop up, suck up, draw, take in, take up]
2. ingratiate oneself to; often with insincere behavior;
- Example: "She is playing up to the chairman"
[syn: cozy up, cotton up, shine up, play up, sidle up, suck up]
3. try to gain favor by cringing or flattering;
- Example: "He is always kowtowing to his boss"
[syn: fawn, toady, truckle, bootlick, kowtow, kotow, suck up]