[syn: pamperer, spoiler, coddler, mollycoddler]
4. an airfoil mounted on the rear of a car to reduce lift at high speeds;
5. a hinged airfoil on the upper surface of an aircraft wing that is raised to reduce lift and increase drag;
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Spoiler \Spoil"er\ (spoil"[~e]r), n.
1. One who spoils; a plunderer; a pillager; a robber; a
2. One who corrupts, mars, or renders useless.
3. (Aeronautics) A device attached to the wing of an airplane
or other airfoil, which breaks the smooth flow of air
during flight and decreases the lift of the airfoil; --
used to control the attitude of the airplane during
banking or descent.
4. A device attached to a car to decrease lift and increase
traction, usually shaped as a flat surface and attached
above the rear of the car, and working on the same
principal as the aircraft spoiler.