Search Result for "separatism":
1. a social system that provides separate facilities for minority groups;
[syn: segregation, separatism]
2. a disposition toward schism and secession from a larger group; the principles and practices of separatists;
- Example: "separatism is a serious problem in Quebec"
- Example: "demands for some form of separatism on grounds of religion have been perceived as a threat to mainstream education"
3. advocacy of a policy of strict separation of church and state;
[syn: separationism, separatism]
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Separatism \Sep"a*ra*tism\, n. [CF. F. s['e]paratisme.] The character or act of a separatist; disposition to withdraw from a church; the practice of so withdrawing. [1913 Webster]Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
30 Moby Thesaurus words for "separatism": abstraction, alienation, apartheid, detachment, disarticulation, disassociation, disconnectedness, disconnection, discontinuity, disengagement, disjointing, disjunction, dislocation, disunion, division, divorce, divorcement, incoherence, isolation, luxation, parting, partition, removal, segmentation, separateness, separation, subdivision, subtraction, withdrawal, zoning