Search Result for "redoubtable":
1. inspiring fear;
- Example: "the formidable prospect of major surgery"
- Example: "a tougher and more redoubtable adversary than the heel-clicking, jackbooted fanatic"- G.H.Johnston
- Example: "something unnerving and prisonlike about high grey wall"
[syn: formidable, redoubtable, unnerving]
2. worthy of respect or honor;
- Example: "born of a redoubtable family"
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Redoubtable \Re*doubt"a*ble\ (-?*b'l), a. [F. redoutable, formerly also spelt redoubtable.] Formidable; dread; terrible to foes; as, a redoubtable hero; hence, valiant; -- often in contempt or burlesque. [Written also redoutable.] [1913 Webster]Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
40 Moby Thesaurus words for "redoubtable": appalling, astounding, awe-inspiring, awesome, awful, celebrated, dire, direful, distinguished, dread, dreaded, dreadful, eminent, famed, fell, formidable, frightful, ghastly, ghoulish, great, grim, grisly, gruesome, hideous, horrendous, horrible, horrid, horrific, horrifying, illustrious, macabre, morbid, notable, prominent, renowned, schrecklich, shocking, terrible, terrific, tremendous