1. having great power or force or potency or effect;
- Example: "the most powerful government in western Europe"
- Example: "his powerful arms"
- Example: "a powerful bomb"
- Example: "the horse's powerful kick"
- Example: "powerful drugs"
- Example: "a powerful argument"
2. strong enough to knock down or overwhelm;
- Example: "a knock-down blow"
[syn: knock-down(a), powerful]
3. having great influence;
[syn: potent, powerful]
4. (of a person) possessing physical strength and weight; rugged and powerful;
- Example: "a hefty athlete"
- Example: "a muscular boxer"
- Example: "powerful arms"
[syn: brawny, hefty, muscular, powerful, sinewy]
5. displaying superhuman strength or power;
- Example: "herculean exertions"
[syn: herculean, powerful]
1. (Southern regional intensive) very; to a great degree;
- Example: "the baby is mighty cute"
- Example: "he's mighty tired"
- Example: "it is powerful humid"
- Example: "that boy is powerful big now"
- Example: "they have a right nice place"
- Example: "they rejoiced mightily"
[syn: mighty, mightily, powerful, right]
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Powerful \Pow"er*ful\, a. 1. Full of power; capable of producing great effects of any kind; potent; mighty; efficacious; intense; as, a powerful man or beast; a powerful engine; a powerful argument; a powerful light; a powerful vessel. [1913 Webster] The powerful grace that lies In herbs, plants, stones, and their true qualities. --Shak. [1913 Webster] 2. (Mining) Large; capacious; -- said of veins of ore. [1913 Webster] Syn: Mighty; strong; potent; forcible; efficacious; energetic; intense. [1913 Webster] -- Pow"er*ful*ly, adv. -- Pow"er*ful*ness, n. [1913 Webster]The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (17 December 2009):
A language combining functional programming and logic programming, using "angelic Powerdomains". (1998-06-30)Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
144 Moby Thesaurus words for "powerful": absolute, acid, armipotent, ascendant, authoritarian, authoritative, authorized, autocratic, beefy, biting, bouncing, charismatic, charming, clothed with authority, cogent, commanding, compelling, competent, comprehensive, consequential, considerable, controlling, corrosive, cutting, deep, dominant, doughty, driving, duly constituted, dynamic, effective, effectual, efficacious, eminent, empowered, enchanting, energetic, estimable, ex officio, exhaustive, forceful, forcible, forcy, formidable, full, full-blooded, full-strength, governing, grand, grave, great, gutsy, gutty, hale, hard, hard as nails, hardy, hearty, heavy, hefty, hegemonic, hegemonistic, high, high-potency, high-powered, high-pressure, high-tension, husky, imperative, important, impressive, in force, in power, incisive, influential, intense, iron-hard, irresistible, leading, lusty, magnetic, main, maximum, mighty, mighty in battle, momentous, monocratic, mordant, nervous, nervy, obstinate, official, operative, penetrating, personable, persuasive, piercing, plenary, poignant, potent, preeminent, prepotent, prestigious, prominent, puissant, punchy, ranking, red-blooded, reputable, resilient, robust, robustious, rugged, ruling, senior, sensational, serious, sinewed, sinewy, slashing, stalwart, steely, stout, strapping, striking, strong, strong as brandy, strong as strong, strong-willed, sturdy, suasive, substantial, superior, supreme, telling, total, totalitarian, tough, trenchant, valid, vigorous, vital, weighty, winning