3. [syn: landscape, landscape painting]
4. an extensive mental viewpoint;
- Example: "the political landscape looks bleak without a change of administration"
- Example: "we changed the landscape for solving the problem of payroll inequity"
1. embellish with plants;
- Example: "Let's landscape the yard"
2. do landscape gardening;
- Example: "My sons landscapes for corporations and earns a good living"
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Landscape \Land"scape\, n. [Formerly written also landskip.]
[D. landschap; land land + -schap, equiv. to E. -schip; akin
to G. landschaft, Sw. landskap, Dan. landskab. See Land,
1. A portion of land or territory which the eye can
comprehend in a single view, including all the objects it
2. A picture representing a scene by land or sea, actual or
fancied, the chief subject being the general aspect of
nature, as fields, hills, forests, water. etc. Compare
3. The pictorial aspect of a country.
The landscape of his native country had taken hold
on his heart. --Macaulay.
Landscape gardening, The art of laying out grounds and
arranging trees, shrubbery, etc., in such a manner as to
produce a picturesque effect.
WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006):
n 1: an expanse of scenery that can be seen in a single view
2: painting depicting an expanse of natural scenery
3: a genre of art dealing with the depiction of natural scenery
[syn: landscape, landscape painting]
4: an extensive mental viewpoint; "the political landscape looks
bleak without a change of administration"; "we changed the
landscape for solving the problem of payroll inequity"
v 1: embellish with plants; "Let's landscape the yard"
2: do landscape gardening; "My sons landscapes for corporations
and earns a good living"
Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
30 Moby Thesaurus words for "landscape":
airscape, aspect, cityscape, cloudscape, countryside, diorama,
exterior, farmscape, interior, lookout, outlook, panorama,
pastoral, perspective, prospect, riverscape, scape, scene, scenery,
scenic view, seapiece, seascape, sight, skyscape, snowscape, sweep,
townscape, view, vista, waterscape