1. plaything consisting of a toy clown that jumps out of a box when the lid is opened
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
1. (Bot.) A tropical tree (Hernandia sonora), which bears a
drupe that rattles when dry in the inflated calyx.
2. A child's toy, consisting of a box, out of which, when the
lid is raised, a figure (usually a clown) springs; also
3. (Mech.) An epicyclic train of bevel gears for transmitting
rotary motion to two parts in such a manner that their
relative rotation may be variable; applied to driving the
wheels of tricycles, road locomotives, and to cotton
machinery, etc.; an equation box; a jack frame; -- called
also compensating gearing.
4. A large wooden screw turning in a nut attached to the
crosspiece of a rude press.
WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006):
n 1: plaything consisting of a toy clown that jumps out of a box
when the lid is opened