Search Result for "horrendous":
1. causing fear or dread or terror;
- Example: "the awful war"
- Example: "an awful risk"
- Example: "dire news"
- Example: "a career or vengeance so direful that London was shocked"
- Example: "the dread presence of the headmaster"
- Example: "polio is no longer the dreaded disease it once was"
- Example: "a dreadful storm"
- Example: "a fearful howling"
- Example: "horrendous explosions shook the city"
- Example: "a terrible curse"
[syn: awful, dire, direful, dread(a), dreaded, dreadful, fearful, fearsome, frightening, horrendous, horrific, terrible]
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Horrendous \Hor*ren"dous\, a. [L. horrendus.] Fearful; frightful. [Obs.] --I. Watts. [1913 Webster]Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
36 Moby Thesaurus words for "horrendous": appalling, astounding, atrocious, awe-inspiring, awesome, awful, baneful, beastly, dire, direful, dread, dreaded, dreadful, fell, formidable, ghastly, ghoulish, grim, grisly, gruesome, hideous, horrible, horrid, horrific, horrifying, macabre, morbid, redoubtable, rotten, schrecklich, shocking, terrible, terrific, tragic, tremendous, unspeakable