Search Result for "heady":
1. marked by the exercise of good judgment or common sense in practical matters;
- Example: "judicious use of one's money"
- Example: "a wise decision"
[syn: judicious, wise, heady]
2. extremely exciting as if by alcohol or a narcotic;
[syn: heady, intoxicating]
3. marked by defiant disregard for danger or consequences;
- Example: "foolhardy enough to try to seize the gun from the hijacker"
- Example: "became the fiercest and most reckless of partisans"-Macaulay
- Example: "a reckless driver"
- Example: "a rash attempt to climb Mount Everest"
[syn: foolhardy, heady, rash, reckless]
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Heady \Head"y\ (h[e^]d"[y^]), a. [From Head.] 1. Willful; rash; precipitate; hurried on by will or passion; ungovernable. [1913 Webster] All the talent required is to be hot, to be heady, -- to be violent on one side or the other. --Sir W. Temple. [1913 Webster] 2. Apt to affect the head; intoxicating; strong. [1913 Webster] The liquor is too heady. --Dryden. [1913 Webster] 3. Violent; impetuous. "A heady currance." --Shak. [1913 Webster]Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
91 Moby Thesaurus words for "heady": agitating, astute, barmy, breathtaking, cagey, charged, cliff-hanging, disobedient, disquieting, distracting, disturbing, electric, exciting, exhilarating, foam-flecked, foamy, frothy, galvanic, headstrong, heart-expanding, heart-stirring, heart-swelling, heart-thrilling, impressive, inebriant, inebriating, inebriative, inflammatory, insubordinate, intoxicating, intoxicative, irresponsible, jarring, jolting, lathery, lawless, licentious, maddening, mind-blowing, moving, mutinous, overcoming, overmastering, overpowering, overwhelming, perspicacious, perturbing, piquant, provocative, provoking, rampant, ravishing, reinless, sagacious, savvy, self-willed, soapsuddy, soapsudsy, soapy, soul-stirring, spirit-stirring, spumose, spumous, spumy, stimulating, stimulative, stirring, striking, suddy, sudsy, suspenseful, suspensive, tantalizing, telling, thrilling, thrilly, troubling, unaccountable, unbridled, unchecked, uncontrolled, uncurbed, undisciplined, ungoverned, unreined, unrestrained, unsettling, upsetting, wildcat, willful, yeasty