Search Result for "give_out":
1. give off, send forth, or discharge; as of light, heat, or radiation, vapor, etc.;
- Example: "The ozone layer blocks some harmful rays which the sun emits"
[syn: emit, give out, give off]
2. give to several people;
- Example: "The teacher handed out the exams"
[syn: distribute, give out, hand out, pass out]
3. prove insufficient;
- Example: "The water supply for the town failed after a long drought"
[syn: fail, run out, give out]
4. stop operating or functioning;
- Example: "The engine finally went"
- Example: "The car died on the road"
- Example: "The bus we travelled in broke down on the way to town"
- Example: "The coffee maker broke"
- Example: "The engine failed on the way to town"
- Example: "her eyesight went after the accident"
[syn: fail, go bad, give way, die, give out, conk out, go, break, break down]
Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
187 Moby Thesaurus words for "give out": accord, administer, afford, air, allot, allow, award, be consumed, be used up, bestow, bestow on, blow, break, break down, break it to, break the news, breathe, breathe out, broach, burn out, cave in, circulate, collapse, come across with, come apart, come out with, come unstuck, communicate, confer, confide, confide to, conk out, crack up, crumble, deal, deal out, decline, deliver, deliver over, disburse, dish out, disintegrate, dispense, disperse, display, dispose, distribute, divulgate, divulge, dole, dole out, donate, droop, drop, dry up, emit, evacuate, evulgate, excrete, exhale, exhaust, expire, extend, fade, fail, faint, fatigue, fizzle out, flag, fork out, fork over, forward, fume, gasp, get tired, gift, gift with, give, give freely, give in, give off, give over, give vent to, give way, go downhill, go haywire, go kaput, go soft, go to pieces, go wrong, grant, grow weary, hand, hand in, hand out, hand over, heap, help to, hit the skids, impart, issue, jade, lactate, languish, lavish, let get around, let have, let in on, let out, make known, make public, measure out, mete, mete out, offer, open the floodgates, open the sluices, open up, out with, pack up, pant, parcel out, pass, pass around, pass out, pass over, pay out, peg out, peter out, pine, play out, poop out, portion out, pour, present, produce, proffer, publish, puff, puff and blow, put out, rain, reach, reek, release, render, resign, reveal, run down, run dry, run out, secern, secrete, serve, shell out, shower, sink, slip, smoke, snow, spoon out, steam, succumb, surrender, tear, tell, tender, throw, throw off, tire, transfer, turn over, utter, vapor, vent, ventilate, vouchsafe, waste, water, weaken, wear away, wear thin, weary, weep, wheeze, wilt, yield