Search Result for "get_up":
1. rise to one's feet;
- Example: "The audience got up and applauded"
[syn: arise, rise, uprise, get up, stand up]
2. get up and out of bed;
- Example: "I get up at 7 A.M. every day"
- Example: "They rose early"
- Example: "He uprose at night"
[syn: get up, turn out, arise, uprise, rise]
3. raise from a lower to a higher position;
- Example: "Raise your hands"
- Example: "Lift a load"
[syn: raise, lift, elevate, get up, bring up]
4. cause to rise;
- Example: "The sergeant got us up at 2 A.M."
- Example: "we worked up an as of an appetite"
[syn: work up, get up]
6. put on special clothes to appear particularly appealing and attractive;
- Example: "She never dresses up, even when she goes to the opera"
- Example: "The young girls were all fancied up for the party"
[syn: overdress, dress up, fig out, fig up, deck up, gussy up, fancy up, trick up, deck out, trick out, prink, attire, get up, rig out, tog up, tog out]
7. arrange by systematic planning and united effort;
- Example: "machinate a plot"
- Example: "organize a strike"
- Example: "devise a plan to take over the director's office"
[syn: organize, organise, prepare, devise, get up, machinate]
8. study intensively, as before an exam;
- Example: "I had to bone up on my Latin verbs before the final exam"
[syn: cram, grind away, drum, bone up, swot, get up, mug up, swot up, bone]
Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
100 Moby Thesaurus words for "get up": arise, assemble, awake, awaken, bedizen, bone up, brew, bristle, brush up, build, cast, cock up, come alive, compose, compound, concoct, construct, cram, cram up, create, deck out, decoct, devise, dizen, doll up, dress up, elaborate, erect, evolve, extrude, fabricate, fancy up, fashion, fig out, fix up, form, formulate, frame, fudge together, get up on, greet the day, gussy up, hit the deck, indite, jump up, make, make up, manufacture, mature, mix, mold, overdress, patch together, piece together, pile out, polish up, prank, prefabricate, prepare, pretty up, primp, prink, produce, put together, put up, rag out, raise, ramp, read up on, rear, rear up, rise, rise up, roll out, rouse, rub up, run up, set up, shape, sit bolt upright, sit up, slick up, spruce up, stand up, stick up, stir, study up, study up on, titivate, trick out, trick up, turn out, upheave, uprear, uprise, wake, wake up, whomp up, work up, write