Search Result for "get_rid_of":
1. dispose of;
- Example: "Get rid of these old shoes!"
- Example: "The company got rid of all the dead wood"
[syn: get rid of, remove]
2. terminate, end, or take out;
- Example: "Let's eliminate the course on Akkadian hieroglyphics"
- Example: "Socialism extinguished these archaic customs"
- Example: "eliminate my debts"
[syn: extinguish, eliminate, get rid of, do away with]
3. do away with;
- Example: "Slavery was abolished in the mid-19th century in America and in Russia"
[syn: abolish, get rid of]
Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
103 Moby Thesaurus words for "get rid of": abandon, abjure, abstract, assassinate, cast, cast aside, cast away, cast off, cast out, cede, chuck, clear, clear away, clear out, clear the decks, cut off, cut out, cut short, deep-six, deport, discard, disgorge, dispel, dispense with, dispose of, ditch, do away with, do without, drop, dump, eighty-six, eject, elide, eliminate, end, eradicate, escape, exile, expatriate, expel, exterminate, finish, finish off, fling off, forgo, forswear, get along without, get clear of, get free of, get out of, get quit of, get shut of, give away, give up, have done with, jettison, jilt, kill, kiss good-bye, liquidate, make a sacrifice, make away with, murder, nip, outlaw, part with, pick out, purge, put paid to, quitclaim, recant, reject, relinquish, remove, render up, renounce, resign, retract, root out, root up, sacrifice, shake off, shoo, slaughter, slough, spare, strike off, strike out, surrender, swear off, take off, throw away, throw off, throw out, throw over, throw overboard, throw up, to, toss overboard, vacate, waive, weed out, yield