1. [syn: gear, gear wheel, geared wheel, cogwheel]
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Gear \Gear\ (g[=e]r), n. [OE. gere, ger, AS. gearwe clothing,
adornment, armor, fr. gearo, gearu, ready, yare; akin to OHG.
garaw[imac], garw[imac] ornament, dress. See Yare, and cf.
1. Clothing; garments; ornaments.
Array thyself in thy most gorgeous gear. --Spenser.
2. Goods; property; household stuff. --Chaucer.
Homely gear and common ware. --Robynson
3. Whatever is prepared for use or wear; manufactured stuff
Clad in a vesture of unknown gear. --Spenser.
4. The harness of horses or cattle; trapping.
5. Warlike accouterments. [Scot.] --Jamieson.
6. Manner; custom; behavior. [Obs.] --Chaucer.
7. Business matters; affairs; concern. [Obs.]
Thus go they both together to their gear. --Spenser.
(a) A toothed wheel, or cogwheel; as, a spur gear, or a
bevel gear; also, toothed wheels, collectively.
(b) An apparatus for performing a special function;
gearing; as, the feed gear of a lathe.
(c) Engagement of parts with each other; as, in gear; out
9. pl. (Naut.) See 1st Jeer
10. Anything worthless; stuff; nonsense; rubbish. [Obs. or
Prov. Eng.] --Wright.
That servant of his that confessed and uttered this
gear was an honest man. --Latimer.
Bever gear. See Bevel gear.
Core gear, a mortise gear, or its skeleton. See Mortise
wheel, under Mortise.
Expansion gear (Steam Engine), the arrangement of parts for
cutting off steam at a certain part of the stroke, so as
to leave it to act upon the piston expansively; the
cut-off. See under Expansion.
Feed gear. See Feed motion, under Feed, n.
Gear cutter, a machine or tool for forming the teeth of
gear wheels by cutting.
Gear wheel, any cogwheel.
Running gear. See under Running.
To throw in gear or To throw out of gear (Mach.), to
connect or disconnect (wheelwork or couplings, etc.); to
put in, or out of, working relation.
WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006):
n 1: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in
order to change the speed or direction of transmitted
motion [syn: gear, gear wheel, geared wheel,