Search Result for "fundament":
1. the fundamental assumptions from which something is begun or developed or calculated or explained;
- Example: "the whole argument rested on a basis of conjecture"
[syn: basis, base, foundation, fundament, groundwork, cornerstone]
2. the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on;
- Example: "he deserves a good kick in the butt"
- Example: "are you going to sit on your fanny and do nothing?"
[syn: buttocks, nates, arse, butt, backside, bum, buns, can, fundament, hindquarters, hind end, keister, posterior, prat, rear, rear end, rump, stern, seat, tail, tail end, tooshie, tush, bottom, behind, derriere, fanny, ass]
3. lowest support of a structure;
- Example: "it was built on a base of solid rock"
- Example: "he stood at the foot of the tower"
[syn: foundation, base, fundament, foot, groundwork, substructure, understructure]
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Fundament \Fun"da*ment\, n. [OE. fundament, fundement, fondement, OF. fundement, fondement, F. fondement, fr. L. fundamentum foundation, fr. fundare to lay the bottom, to found, fr. fundus bottom. See Fund.] 1. Foundation. [Obs.] --Chaucer. [1913 Webster] 2. The part of the body on which one sits; the buttocks; specifically (Anat.), the anus. --Hume. [1913 Webster]Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
61 Moby Thesaurus words for "fundament": backside, base, basement, basis, beam, bearing wall, bed, bedding, bedrock, behind, belly, bottom, bottom side, breech, buttocks, derriere, downside, floor, flooring, fond, footing, foundation, fundamental, ground, grounds, groundwork, hardpan, lower side, lowest layer, lowest level, nether side, nethermost level, pavement, posterior, principle, radical, rear, riprap, rock bottom, rudiment, rump, seat, sill, solid ground, solid rock, stereobate, stylobate, substratum, substruction, substructure, terra firma, underbelly, underbuilding, undercarriage, undergirding, underlayer, underneath, underpinning, underside, understruction, understructure