2. [syn: newcomer, fledgling, fledgeling, starter, neophyte, freshman, newbie, entrant]
3. someone who enters;
- Example: "new entrants to the country must go though immigration procedures"
4. one who enters a competition;
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Entrant \En"trant\, n. [See Entrance, n.]
1. One who enters; a beginner. "The entrant upon life." --Bp.
2. An applicant for admission. --Stormonth.
WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006):
n 1: a commodity that enters competition with established
merchandise; "a well publicized entrant is the pocket
2: any new participant in some activity [syn: newcomer,
fledgling, fledgeling, starter, neophyte, freshman,
3: someone who enters; "new entrants to the country must go
though immigration procedures"
4: one who enters a competition
Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
52 Moby Thesaurus words for "entrant":
abecedarian, alphabetarian, apprentice, arrival, articled clerk,
baby, beginner, boot, catechumen, comer, competitor, contender,
contestant, corrival, deb, debutant, emulator, fledgling, freshman,
greenhorn, greeny, ignoramus, immigrant, in-migrant, incomer,
inductee, infant, initiate, intruder, learner, neophyte, nestling,
new boy, newcomer, novice, novitiate, player, postulant,
probationer, probationist, raw recruit, recruit, rival, rookie,
settler, tenderfoot, the field, trainee, tyro, vier, visitant,