Search Result for "disgraceful":
1. giving offense to moral sensibilities and injurious to reputation;
- Example: "scandalous behavior"
- Example: "the wicked rascally shameful conduct of the bankrupt"- Thackeray
- Example: "the most shocking book of its time"
[syn: disgraceful, scandalous, shameful, shocking]
2. (used of conduct or character) deserving or bringing disgrace or shame;
- Example: "Man...has written one of his blackest records as a destroyer on the oceanic islands"- Rachel Carson
- Example: "an ignominious retreat"
- Example: "inglorious defeat"
- Example: "an opprobrious monument to human greed"
- Example: "a shameful display of cowardice"
[syn: black, disgraceful, ignominious, inglorious, opprobrious, shameful]
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Disgraceful \Dis*grace"ful\, a. Bringing disgrace; causing shame; shameful; dishonorable; unbecoming; as, profaneness is disgraceful to a man. -- Dis*grace"ful*ly, adv. -- Dis*grace"ful*ness, n. [1913 Webster] The Senate have cast you forth disgracefully. --B. Jonson. [1913 Webster]Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
108 Moby Thesaurus words for "disgraceful": aberrant, abnormal, abominable, arrant, atrocious, bad, base, beneath one, black, blamable, blameworthy, cheap, contemptible, corrupt, criminal, damnable, dark, debased, debasing, degraded, degrading, delinquent, demeaning, deplorable, despicable, deviant, discreditable, dishonorable, disreputable, embarrassing, evil, execrable, flagitious, flagrant, foul, gutter, hardly the thing, heinous, humiliating, humiliative, ignominious, illegal, improper, inappropriate, incorrect, indecent, indecorous, infamous, infra dig, infra indignitatem, inglorious, iniquitous, knavish, lascivious, lewd, low, mean, monstrous, naughty, nefarious, not done, not the thing, notorious, objectionable, off-base, off-color, opprobrious, out-of-line, outrageous, peccant, pitiful, rank, reprehensible, reprobate, rude, sacrilegious, sad, scandalous, shabby, shady, shameful, shameless, shocking, shoddy, sinful, sorry, terrible, too bad, unbecoming, undue, unfit, unfitting, unforgivable, unlawful, unpardonable, unrespectable, unrighteous, unseemly, unspeakable, unsuitable, unworthy, unworthy of one, vicious, vile, villainous, wicked, wrong, wrongful