Search Result for "detestable":
1. offensive to the mind;
- Example: "an abhorrent deed"
- Example: "the obscene massacre at Wounded Knee"
- Example: "morally repugnant customs"
- Example: "repulsive behavior"
- Example: "the most repulsive character in recent novels"
[syn: abhorrent, detestable, obscene, repugnant, repulsive]
2. unequivocally detestable;
- Example: "abominable treatment of prisoners"
- Example: "detestable vices"
- Example: "execrable crimes"
- Example: "consequences odious to those you govern"- Edmund Burke
[syn: abominable, detestable, execrable, odious]
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Detestable \De*test"a*ble\, a. [L. detestabilis: cf. F. d['e]testable.] Worthy of being detested; abominable; extremely hateful; very odious; deserving abhorrence; as, detestable vices. [1913 Webster] Thou hast defiled my sanctuary will all thy detestable things, and with all thine abominations. --Ezek. v. 11. Syn: Abominable; odious; execrable; abhorred. [1913 Webster]Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
90 Moby Thesaurus words for "detestable": abhorrent, abominable, arrant, atrocious, awful, base, beastly, below contempt, beneath contempt, blameworthy, brutal, contemptible, crude, deplorable, despicable, despiteful, dire, disgusting, dreadful, egregious, enormous, execrable, fetid, filthy, flagrant, forbidding, foul, fulsome, grievous, gross, hateful, heinous, horrible, horrid, ignoble, infamous, lamentable, loathsome, lousy, malodorous, mephitic, miasmal, miasmic, monstrous, nasty, nauseating, nefarious, noisome, notorious, noxious, objectionable, obnoxious, obscene, odious, offensive, outrageous, pitiable, pitiful, rank, rebarbative, regrettable, repellent, reprehensible, repugnant, repulsive, revolting, rotten, sad, scandalous, schlock, scurvy, shabby, shameful, shocking, shoddy, sickening, sordid, sorry, squalid, stinking, terrible, too bad, unclean, unlikable, vile, villainous, woeful, worst, worthless, wretched