Search Result for "consummate":
1. fulfill sexually;
- Example: "consummate a marriage"
2. make perfect; bring to perfection;
1. having or revealing supreme mastery or skill;
- Example: "a consummate artist"
- Example: "consummate skill"
- Example: "a masterful speaker"
- Example: "masterful technique"
- Example: "a masterly performance of the sonata"
- Example: "a virtuoso performance"
[syn: consummate, masterful, masterly, virtuoso(a)]
2. perfect and complete in every respect; having all necessary qualities;
- Example: "a complete gentleman"
- Example: "consummate happiness"
- Example: "a consummate performance"
[syn: complete, consummate]
3. without qualification; used informally as (often pejorative) intensifiers;
- Example: "an arrant fool"
- Example: "a complete coward"
- Example: "a consummate fool"
- Example: "a double-dyed villain"
- Example: "gross negligence"
- Example: "a perfect idiot"
- Example: "pure folly"
- Example: "what a sodding mess"
- Example: "stark staring mad"
- Example: "a thoroughgoing villain"
- Example: "utter nonsense"
- Example: "the unadulterated truth"
[syn: arrant(a), complete(a), consummate(a), double-dyed(a), everlasting(a), gross(a), perfect(a), pure(a), sodding(a), stark(a), staring(a), thoroughgoing(a), utter(a), unadulterated]
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Consummate \Con*sum"mate\ (k[o^]n*s[u^]m"m[asl]t), a. [L. consummatus, p. p. or consummare to accomplish, sum up; con- + summa sum. See Sum.] Carried to the utmost extent or degree; of the highest quality; complete; perfect. "A man of perfect and consummate virtue." --Addison. [1913 Webster] The little band held the post with consummate tenacity. --Motley [1913 Webster]The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Consummate \Con"sum*mate\ (k[o^]n"s[u^]m*m[=a]t or k[o^]n*s[u^]m"m[=a]t; 277), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Consummated (k[o^]n"s[u^]m*m[=a]`t[e^]d); p. pr. & vb. n. Consummating (k[o^]n"s[u^]m*m[=a]`t[i^]ng).] To bring to completion; to raise to the highest point or degree; to complete; to finish; to perfect; to achieve. [1913 Webster] To consummate this business happily. --Shak. [1913 Webster]Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
185 Moby Thesaurus words for "consummate": able, absolute, accomplish, accomplished, achieve, acmatic, all-embracing, all-encompassing, all-out, all-pervading, apical, archetypical, arrant, attain, born, broad-based, cap, capital, chief, classic, classical, clean, clear, climax, compass, complete, comprehensive, conclude, congenital, crass, crest, crown, culminate, deal with, decided, deep-dyed, definitive, developed, discharge, dispatch, dispose of, do, do the job, do the trick, downright, dyed-in-the-wool, effect, effectuate, egregious, enact, end, execute, exemplary, exhaustive, expert, faultless, fetch, finish, finished, flagrant, flawless, frost, fulfill, fully developed, fully realized, gifted, glaring, gross, halt, head, headmost, highest, ice, impeccable, inimitable, intensive, intolerable, knock off, make, manage, masterful, masterly, mature, matured, maximal, maximum, meridian, meridional, model, omnibus, omnipresent, out-and-out, outright, outtop, overarch, overmost, overtop, paramount, peak, peerless, perfect, perfected, perform, pervasive, plain, plumb, polish off, polished, positive, practiced, precious, preeminent, produce, proficient, profound, pronounced, proper, pure, put away, quintessential, radical, rank, realize, refined, regular, ripe, ripened, shattering, sheer, shocking, skilled, stark, stark-staring, straight, succeed, summital, superb, superlative, supreme, surmount, surpassing, sweeping, take care of, talented, terminate, the veriest, thorough, thoroughgoing, through-and-through, tip, tip-top, top, top off, topmost, total, trained, transcendent, turn the trick, ubiquitous, ultimate, unbearable, unconditional, unconscionable, undeniable, unequivocal, universal, unmitigated, unqualified, unrelieved, unreserved, unrestricted, unspoiled, unsurpassable, upmost, uppermost, utter, veritable, vertical, virtuosic, wholesale, wind up, work, work out, wrap up, zenithal