Search Result for "close_up":
1. cease to operate or cause to cease operating;
- Example: "The owners decided to move and to close the factory"
- Example: "My business closes every night at 8 P.M."
- Example: "close up the shop"
[syn: close up, close, fold, shut down, close down]
2. block passage through;
- Example: "obstruct the path"
[syn: obstruct, obturate, impede, occlude, jam, block, close up]
3. unite or bring into contact or bring together the edges of;
- Example: "close the circuit"
- Example: "close a wound"
- Example: "close a book"
- Example: "close up an umbrella"
[syn: close up, close]
4. refuse to talk or stop talking; fall silent;
- Example: "The children shut up when their father approached"
[syn: close up, clam up, dummy up, shut up, belt up, button up, be quiet, keep mum]
1. very close;
- Example: "without my reading glasses I can hardly see things close up"
- Example: "even firing at close range he missed"
[syn: close up, at close range]
Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
140 Moby Thesaurus words for "close up": approach, bang, bar, barricade, batten, batten down, block, block up, blockade, bolt, boom shot, button, button up, cap, carry to completion, cease, center, centralize, chock, choke, choke off, cicatrize, clap, clean up, climax, close, close down, close in, close off, close out, close shop, close tight, close with, come together, complete, concenter, concentralize, concentrate, conclude, constrict, contain, contract, converge, cover, crowd, crown, culminate, debar, deuce shot, dog, end, fall in with, fasten, finalize, finish, finish off, finish up, fold, fold up, follow-focus shot, full shot, funnel, get done, get it over, get through, get through with, granulate, group shot, heal, heal over, intersect, jam, key, kinescope, knit, latch, lock, lock out, lock up, long shot, matte shot, medium shot, meet, mop up, motion picture, narrow the gap, nip, obstruct, occlude, pack, padlock, pan shot, panoramic shot, perfect, pinch, plumb, process shot, rap shot, retake, right itself, round out, run together, scab over, seal, seal off, seal up, secure, set, shot, shut, shut down, shut off, shut out, shut the door, shut tight, shut up, shut up shop, shutter, slam, snap, squeeze, squeeze shut, stifle, stop up, strangle, strangulate, suffocate, take, taper, terminate, top off, top out, travel shot, trucking shot, unite, wind up, wrap up, zip up, zipper, zoom shot