1. [syn: blister, bulla, bleb]
2. the round leaden seal affixed to a papal bull;
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Bulla \Bul"la\, n.; pl. Bull[ae]. [L. bulla bubble. See Bull
1. (Med.) A bleb; a vesicle, or an elevation of the cuticle,
containing a transparent watery fluid.
2. (Anat.) The ovoid prominence below the opening of the ear
in the skulls of many animals; as, the tympanic or
3. A leaden seal for a document; esp. the round leaden seal
attached to the papal bulls, which has on one side a
representation of St. Peter and St. Paul, and on the other
the name of the pope who uses it.
4. (Zool.) A genus of marine shells. See Bubble shell.
WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006):
n 1: (pathology) an elevation of the skin filled with serous
fluid [syn: blister, bulla, bleb]
2: the round leaden seal affixed to a papal bull