Search Result for "astounding":
1. bewildering or striking dumb with wonder;
[syn: astounding, dumbfounding, dumfounding]
2. so surprisingly impressive as to stun or overwhelm;
- Example: "such an enormous response was astonishing"
- Example: "an astounding achievement"
- Example: "the amount of money required was staggering"
- Example: "suffered a staggering defeat"
- Example: "the figure inside the boucle dress was stupefying"
[syn: astonishing, astounding, staggering, stupefying]
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Astound \As*tound"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Astounded, [Obs.] Astound; p. pr. & vb. n. Astounding.] [See Astound, a.] 1. To stun; to stupefy. [1913 Webster] No puissant stroke his senses once astound. --Fairfax. [1913 Webster] 2. To astonish; to strike with amazement; to confound with wonder, surprise, or fear. [1913 Webster] These thoughts may startle well, but not astound The virtuous mind. --Milton. [1913 Webster]The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Astounding \As*tound"ing\, a. Of a nature to astound; astonishing; amazing; as, an astounding force, statement, or fact. -- As*tound"ing*ly, adv. [1913 Webster]Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
45 Moby Thesaurus words for "astounding": amazing, appalling, astonishing, awe-inspiring, awesome, awful, breathtaking, confounding, dire, direful, dread, dreaded, fell, formidable, ghastly, ghoulish, grim, grisly, gruesome, hideous, horrendous, horrible, horrid, horrific, horrifying, macabre, mind-boggling, miraculous, morbid, overwhelming, prodigious, redoubtable, schrecklich, shocking, spectacular, staggering, startling, stunning, stupendous, surprising, terrible, terrific, tremendous, wonderful, wondrous