Search Result for "ancestral":
1. inherited or inheritable by established rules (usually legal rules) of descent;
- Example: "ancestral home"
- Example: "ancestral lore"
- Example: "hereditary monarchy"
- Example: "patrimonial estate"
- Example: "transmissible tradition"
[syn: ancestral, hereditary, patrimonial, transmissible]
2. of or belonging to or inherited from an ancestor;
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Ancestral \An*ces"tral\ (?; 277), a. Of, pertaining to, derived from, or possessed by, an ancestor or ancestors; as, an ancestral estate. "Ancestral trees." --Hemans. [1913 Webster]Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
32 Moby Thesaurus words for "ancestral": aboriginal, ancestorial, antepatriarchal, atavistic, autochthonous, fatherlike, fatherly, grandfatherly, grandmotherly, grandparental, humanoid, maternal, mother, motherlike, motherly, parent, parental, paternal, patriarchal, preadamite, preglacial, prehistoric, prehuman, prime, primeval, primitive, primogenial, primoprimitive, primordial, pristine, protohistoric, protohuman