1. using the voice; not silently;
- Example: "please read the passage aloud"
- Example: "he laughed out loud"
[syn: aloud, out loud]
2. with relatively high volume;
- Example: "the band played loudly"
- Example: "she spoke loudly and angrily"
- Example: "he spoke loud enough for those at the back of the room to hear him"
- Example: "cried aloud for help"
[syn: loudly, loud, aloud]
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Aloud \A*loud"\, adv. [Pref. a- + loud.] With a loud voice, or great noise; loudly; audibly. [1913 Webster] Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice. --Isa. lviii. 1. [1913 Webster]