1. [syn: ardent, fervent, fervid, fiery, impassioned, perfervid, torrid]
2. emotionally charged and vigorously energetic;
- Example: "a torrid dance"
- Example: "torrid jazz bands"
- Example: "hot trumpets and torrid rhythms"
3. extremely hot;
- Example: "the torrid noonday sun"
- Example: "sultry sands of the dessert"
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Torrid \Tor"rid\, a. [L. torridus, fr. torrere to parch, to
burn, akin to E. Thist: cf. F. torride. See Thirst.]
1. Parched; dried with heat; as, a torrid plain or desert.
"Barca or Cyrene's torrid soil." --Milton.
2. Violenty hot; drying or scorching with heat; burning;
parching. "Torrid heat." --Milton.
Torrid zone (Geog.), that space or board belt of the earth,
included between the tropics, over which the sun is
vertical at some period of every year, and the heat is
WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006):
adj 1: characterized by intense emotion; "ardent love"; "an
ardent lover"; "a fervent desire to change society"; "a
fervent admirer"; "fiery oratory"; "an impassioned
appeal"; "a torrid love affair" [syn: ardent,
fervent, fervid, fiery, impassioned, perfervid,
2: emotionally charged and vigorously energetic; "a torrid
dance"; "torrid jazz bands"; "hot trumpets and torrid
3: extremely hot; "the torrid noonday sun"; "sultry sands of the
Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
65 Moby Thesaurus words for "torrid":
amorous, ardent, arid, baking, blazing, blistering, blistery,
boiling, broiling, burning, burning hot, canicular, cooking,
ebullient, erotic, fervent, fervid, feverish, fiery, flaming,
flushed, grilling, heated, hot, hot as fire, hot as hell,
hot-blooded, humid, impassioned, inflamed, intense, like a furnace,
like an oven, lustful, muggy, overheated, overwarm, parched,
parching, passionate, piping hot, red-hot, roasting, scalding,
scorched, scorching, searing, seething, sexy, simmering, sizzling,
sizzling hot, smoking hot, steaming, steamy, stifling, sudorific,
sultry, sweating, sweaty, sweltering, sweltry, toasting, tropical,