The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Square \Square\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Squared (skw[^a]rd); p.
pr. & vb. n. Squaring.] [Cf. OF. escarrer, esquarrer. See
1. To form with four equal sides and four right angles.
2. To form with right angles and straight lines, or flat
surfaces; as, to square masons' work.
3. To compare with, or reduce to, any given measure or
4. To adjust; to regulate; to mold; to shape; to fit; as, to
square our actions by the opinions of others.
Square my trial
To my proportioned strength. --Milton.
5. To make even, so as to leave no remainder or difference;
to balance; as, to square accounts.
6. (Math.) To multiply by itself; as, to square a number or a
7. (Astrol.) To hold a quartile position respecting.
The icy Goat and Crab that square the Scales.
8. (Naut.) To place at right angles with the keel; as, to
square the yards.
To square one's shoulders, to raise the shoulders so as to
give them a square appearance, -- a movement expressing
contempt or dislike. --Sir W. Scott.
To square the circle (Math.), to determine the exact
contents of a circle in square measure. The solution of
this famous problem is now generally admitted to be
Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
74 Moby Thesaurus words for "squaring":
Little Joe, accommodation, adaptation, adjustment, amends,
assimilation, atonement, attunement, biquadrate, coaptation,
compensation, composition, compromise, coordination, expiation,
expiatory offering, four, four-part diaphony, foursome,
harmonization, indemnification, indemnity, integration,
making amends, making good, making right, making up, paying back,
peace offering, piaculum, propitiation, quad, quadrangle,
quadrature, quadrennium, quadrilateral, quadrille, quadrinomial,
quadruplet, quartet, quatern, quaternary, quaternion, quaternity,
quatrefoil, quittance, reclamation, recompense, reconcilement,
reconciliation, rectangle, redemption, redress, refund, regulation,
reimbursement, reparation, repayment, requital, restitution,
retribution, satisfaction, square, square dance, synchronization,
tetrad, tetragon, tetragram, tetragrammaton, tetrahedron,
tetralogy, tetraphony, tetrapody, timing