2. [syn: seasoned, veteran(a)]
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Season \Sea"son\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Seasoned; p. pr. & vb.
1. To render suitable or appropriate; to prepare; to fit.
He is fit and seasoned for his passage. --Shak.
2. To fit for any use by time or habit; to habituate; to
accustom; to inure; to ripen; to mature; as, to season one
to a climate.
3. Hence, to prepare by drying or hardening, or removal of
natural juices; as, to season timber.
4. To fit for taste; to render palatable; to give zest or
relish to; to spice; as, to season food.
5. Hence, to fit for enjoyment; to render agreeable.
You season still with sports your serious hours.
The proper use of wit is to season conversation.
6. To qualify by admixture; to moderate; to temper. "When
mercy seasons justice." --Shak.
7. To imbue; to tinge or taint. "Who by his tutor being
seasoned with the love of the truth." --Fuller.
Season their younger years with prudent and pious
principles. --Jer. Taylor.
8. To copulate with; to impregnate. [R.] --Holland.
WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006):
adj 1: aged or processed; "seasoned wood" [ant: unseasoned]
2: rendered competent through trial and experience; "a seasoned
traveler"; "veteran steadiness"; "a veteran officer" [syn:
Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
90 Moby Thesaurus words for "seasoned":
acclimated, acclimatized, accommodated, accustomed, adapted,
adjusted, aged, blase, brisk, burning, case-hardened, conditioned,
cosmopolitan, cosmopolite, curried, developed, established,
experienced, familiarized, full-blown, full-fledged, full-grown,
fully developed, habituated, hardened, hedged, hedged about,
high-seasoned, hot, hot as pepper, in full bloom, inured, knowing,
leavened, limited, lively, long-standing, maturated, mature,
matured, mellow, mellowed, mitigated, modified, modulated,
naturalized, nippy, not born yesterday, old, old-time, orientated,
oriented, peppery, practical, practiced, prepared, qualified, racy,
restricted, ripe, ripened, run-in, sagacious, skilled, snappy,
softened, sophisticated, spiced, spicy, steeled, tangy, tempered,
toughened, trained, tried, tried and true, used to, versed, vet,
veteran, well-versed, with a kick, wont, wonted, world-wise,
worldly, worldly-wise, zestful, zesty, zippy