Search Result for "annoying":
1. the act of troubling or annoying someone;
[syn: annoyance, annoying, irritation, vexation]
1. causing irritation or annoyance;
- Example: "tapping an annoying rhythm on his glass with his fork"
- Example: "aircraft noise is particularly bothersome near the airport"
- Example: "found it galling to have to ask permission"
- Example: "an irritating delay"
- Example: "nettlesome paperwork"
- Example: "a pesky mosquito"
- Example: "swarms of pestering gnats"
- Example: "a plaguey newfangled safety catch"
- Example: "a teasing and persistent thought annoyed him"
- Example: "a vexatious child"
- Example: "it is vexing to have to admit you are wrong"
[syn: annoying, bothersome, galling, irritating, nettlesome, pesky, pestering, pestiferous, plaguy, plaguey, teasing, vexatious, vexing]
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Annoy \An*noy"\ ([a^]n*noi"), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Annoyed ([a^]n*noid"); p. pr. & vb. n. Annoying.] [OE. anoien, anuien, OF. anoier, anuier, F. ennuyer, fr. OF. anoi, anui, enui, annoyance, vexation, F. ennui. See Annoy, n.] To disturb or irritate, especially by continued or repeated acts; to tease; to ruffle in mind; to vex; as, I was annoyed by his remarks. [1913 Webster] Say, what can more our tortured souls annoy Than to behold, admire, and lose our joy? --Prior. [1913 Webster] 2. To molest, incommode, or harm; as, to annoy an army by impeding its march, or by a cannonade. [1913 Webster] Syn: To molest; vex; trouble; pester; embarrass; perplex; tease. [1913 Webster]The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Annoying \An*noy"ing\, a. That annoys; molesting; vexatious. -- An*noy"ing*ly, adv. [1913 Webster]Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
52 Moby Thesaurus words for "annoying": aggravating, aggravative, backbreaking, besetting, bothering, bothersome, burdensome, chafing, contentious, crushing, disquieting, distressful, distressing, disturbing, exasperating, exasperative, fretting, galling, grueling, harassing, heavy, hefty, importunate, importune, irking, irksome, irritating, onerous, oppressive, painful, pesky, pestering, pestiferous, pestilent, pestilential, plaguesome, plaguey, plaguing, provocative, provoking, teasing, tiresome, tormenting, troublesome, troubling, trying, upsetting, vexatious, vexing, wearisome, worrisome, worrying