1. (Christian theology) a state of sanctification by God
; the state of one who is under such divine influence
; - Example: "the conception of grace developed alongside the conception of sin"- Example: "it was debated whether saving grace could be obtained outside the membership of the church"- Example: "the Virgin lived in a state of grace"[syn: grace, saving grace, state of grace]
2. a redeeming quality or characteristic;
- Example: "her love of music remains her one saving grace"
- Example: "her sense of humor has to be a saving grace"
- Example: "the saving grace for both developments is that they are creating jobs"