The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Plate \Plate\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Plated; p. pr. & vb. n.
1. To cover or overlay with gold, silver, or other metals,
either by a mechanical process, as hammering, or by a
chemical process, as electrotyping.
2. To cover or overlay with plates of metal; to arm with
metal for defense.
Thus plated in habiliments of war. --Shak.
3. To adorn with plated metal; as, a plated harness.
4. To beat into thin, flat pieces, or lamin[ae].
5. To calender; as, to plate paper.