1. [syn: microwave, microwave oven]
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Appliance \Ap*pli"ance\, n.
1. The act of applying; application.
2. subservience; compliance. [Obs.] --Shak.
3. A thing applied or used as a means to an end; an apparatus
or device; as, to use various appliances; a mechanical
appliance; a machine with its appliances.
4. Specifically: An apparatus or device, usually powered
electrically, used in homes to perform domestic functions.
An appliance is often categorized as a major appliance or
a minor appliance by its cost. Common major appliances are
the refrigerator, washing machine, clothes drier,
oven, and dishwasher. Some minor appliances are a
toaster, vacuum cleaner or microwave oven.
WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006):
n 1: kitchen appliance that cooks food by passing an
electromagnetic wave through it; heat results from the
absorption of energy by the water molecules in the food
[syn: microwave, microwave oven]