1. [syn: ambush, ambuscade, lying in wait, trap]
1. waiting in concealment; in ambush;
- Example: "an army lying in wait in the forest"
WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006):
lying in wait
adj 1: waiting in concealment; in ambush; "an army lying in wait
in the forest"
n 1: the act of concealing yourself and lying in wait to attack
by surprise [syn: ambush, ambuscade, lying in wait,
Bouvier's Law Dictionary, Revised 6th Ed (1856):
LYING IN WAIT. Being in ambush for the purpose of murdering another.
2. Lying in wait is evidence of deliberation and intention.
3. Where murder is divided into degrees, as in Pennsylvania, lying in
wait is such evidence of malice, that it makes the killing, when it takes
place, murder in the first degree. Vide. Dane's Ab. Index, h.t.