1. [syn: luck out, hit the jackpot]
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Jackpot \Jackpot\, n.
1. Same as jack pot. See under jack.
2. Any larger-than-usual gambling prize formed by the
accumulation of unwon bets.
3. The highest gambling prize awarded in a gambling game in
which smaller prizes are also awarded, especially such a
prize on a slot machine.
4. An unusually large success in an enterprise, either
unexpected or unpredictable, esp. one providing a great
hit the jackpot to receive an unexpectedly large (or the
largest possible) benefit from an enterprise; as, after
prospecting for years, he finally hit the jackpot when he
discovered a silver lode.
WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006):
hit the jackpot
v 1: succeed by luck; "I lucked out and found the last parking
spot in the lot" [syn: luck out, hit the jackpot]