Search Result for "go_for":
1. be pertinent or relevant or applicable;
- Example: "The same laws apply to you!"
- Example: "This theory holds for all irrational numbers"
- Example: "The same rules go for everyone"
[syn: apply, hold, go for]
2. give an affirmative reply to; respond favorably to;
- Example: "I cannot accept your invitation"
- Example: "I go for this resolution"
[syn: accept, consent, go for]
3. intend with some possibility of fulfilment;
- Example: "I hope to have finished this work by tomorrow evening"
[syn: hope, go for]
4. have a fancy or particular liking or desire for;
- Example: "She fancied a necklace that she had seen in the jeweler's window"
[syn: fancy, go for, take to]
5. make an attempt at achieving something;
- Example: "She tried for the Olympics"
[syn: try for, go for]
Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
145 Moby Thesaurus words for "go for": abet, accept, advocate, aid and abet, aim, aim at, ambush, and sinker, answer for, aspire after, aspire to, assail, assault, attack, be a sucker, be accepted for, be after, be fond of, be partial to, be regarded as, be taken as, be taken in, bear for, bear up for, bear up to, bite, blitz, break for, bring, bring back, burn with love, bushwhack, call for, care for, chase after, come at, come down on, comfort, count for, countenance, crack down on, dash for, descend on, descend upon, design, desire, destine, determine, devour, dote on, dote upon, drive at, eat up, embolden, encourage, endorse, fall for, fall on, fall upon, fancy, favor, fetch, fetch and carry, gang up on, get, go after, go and get, go as, go at, go fetch, go get, go to get, gobble up, gulp down, harbor a design, harry, have at, have every intention, have eyes for, have it bad, hearten, hit, hit for, hit like lightning, hold with, intend, jump, keep in countenance, land on, lap up, lay at, lay for, lay hands on, lay into, light into, like, line, love, make for, make up to, mean, mug, nibble, obtain, pass as, pass for, pick up, pitch into, plan, pounce upon, pound, procure, project, propose, purport, purpose, resolve, retrieve, run after, run for, sail for, sail into, secure, serve as, set on, set out for, set upon, shag, shine upon, smile upon, steer for, strike, subscribe, surprise, swallow, swallow anything, swallow hook, swallow whole, swing at, swoop down on, take the bait, take the offensive, think, tumble for, wade into