The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Generator \Gen"er*a`tor\, n. [L.]
1. One who, or that which, generates, begets, causes, or
2. An apparatus in which vapor or gas is formed from a liquid
or solid by means of heat or chemical process, as a steam
boiler, gas retort, or vessel for generating carbonic acid
3. (Mus.) The principal sound or sounds by which others are
produced; the fundamental note or root of the common
chord; -- called also generating tone.
4. (Elec.) Any machine that transforms mechanical into
electrical energy; a dynamo.
[Webster 1913 Suppl.]
5. (Math.) a mathematical entity which, when subjected to an
operation, yields another mathematical entity; also, a