Search Result for "electric shock":
1. the use of electricity to administer punishment or torture;
- Example: "they used cattle prods to administer electric shocks"
2. trauma caused by the passage of electric current through the body (as from contact with high voltage lines or being struck by lightning); usually involves burns and abnormal heart rhythm and unconsciousness;
3. a reflex response to the passage of electric current through the body;
- Example: "subjects received a small electric shock when they made the wrong response"
- Example: "electricians get accustomed to occasional shocks"
[syn: electric shock, electrical shock, shock]