1. the act of throwing someone or something out of a window;
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
the act of throwing (something or someone) out of a window.
WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006):
n 1: the act of throwing someone or something out of a window
The Jargon File (version 4.4.7, 29 Dec 2003):
[mythically from a traditional Bohemian assassination method, via SF
1. Proper karmic retribution for an incorrigible punster. ?Oh, ghod, that
was awful!? ?Quick! Defenestrate him!?
2. The act of completely removing Micro$oft Windows from a PC in favor of a
better OS (typically Linux).
3. The act of discarding something under the assumption that it will
improve matters. ?I don't have any disk space left.? ?Well, why don't you
defenestrate that 100 megs worth of old core dumps??
4. Under a GUI, the act of dragging something out of a window (onto the
screen). ?Next, defenestrate the MugWump icon.?
5. [obs.] The act of exiting a window system in order to get better
response time from a full-screen program. This comes from the dictionary
meaning of defenestrate, which is to throw something out a window.